Wednesday 15 April 2015

Task 4d: Literature Review (Part 1)


I have selected various pieces of literature to review as part of my research based around the topic of performance. The current working title for my inquiry is: How can we as teachers develop the following in our students: Artistry, Presentation, Performance, Interpretation, Expression?

Developing Performance, Expression and Communication Skills in Ballet
(Angeline Lucas 2013)
www.danceadvantage.net/performing-with-artistry (Accessed 14/4/15)

The author explores the concept of performance and what aspects this entails, something I find quite difficult to describe. This article was obviously written for dance students wishing to improve their performance skills, however I feel teachers can equally benefit from ideas and methods within this article. I particularly liked how she explained the subject matter, 'how to breathe life into your work', which explains my topic perfectly. The article is intended to increase one's awareness of this subject and asks the questions, what is performance? How can students be more expressive?

The author (a dance teacher) believes, from personal experience that such skills are mastered and continue developing over time. The notion that performance incorporates an individual's charisma, stage presence, artistic sensitivity through one's ability to command attention, sensitively respond to the music/choreography and show a sense of confidence.

She gives varying examples of imagery that could enhance performance, I feel that the suggested methods would also perhaps be used in meditation or in a drama class. Imagery is an effective teaching method particularly in Ballet as some movements are so difficult to describe. Imagery needs to be age appropriate to allow the student to relate it to personal experience, it can be a wonderful form of motivation and promote greater understanding. I thought her ideas were imaginative and I would like to try these out on my students in order to assess the effectiveness.

This article is based around teaching Ballet which is useful for me as I teach a lot of Ballet, however I wish for my inquiry to be based around improving skills in various genres including Modern, Tap, Contemporary and Jazz. I feel that the principle of this article can be applied to teaching other forms of dance.

This piece of literature will be useful to my inquiry as it incorporates the aspect of musical awareness which I plan to explore further. The author describes how the dancer should give the illusion that the music is 'channeling through you' and she encourages her students to take time to listen carefully and describe the music in detail. This approach will enable the student to not just focus on the steps but make the music interpretation a priority allowing the significance to become the subject matter of the dance.

In a typical class, set syllabus music can become rather uninspiring for the student (I recall thinking this myself). Which raises the question, how far can the use of free music in class influence one's performance skills? If a student is dancing to the same piece of music week in week out, how will they be inspired to express themselves? A broad musical education will potentially contribute to one's versatile ability to convey a wide range of moods and genres.

Choreography might need to be expressed in a certain way by the demands of the syllabus where as
a solo piece might require individual interpretation. I think that awareness can be gained through the syllabus work, paving the way for a more individual approach through maturity and experience.


1 comment: