Wednesday 25 November 2015

Influential Performers Part 2




Sylvie Guillem

“Sylvie broke the mould and redefined what a ballerina could be, post-Margot Fonteyn.” – Deborah Bull (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/dance/11218123/Why-Sylvie-Guillem-is-ready-for-her-swansong.html 16.11.15)

I have grown up admiring the work of Sylvie Guillem, her performing career spanned over 30 years which is basically unheard of for a Ballerina. As a child I was mesmerised by her acrobatic skill and her curiosity to explore beyond the realms of classical ballet. Like Nureyev she too was a nonconformist, he in fact mentored her in her early career at the Paris Opera Ballet.

Opinionated and strong willed she earned the nickname Madam Non (miss no!) She caused controversy amongst her peers and directors insisting on picking her own roles, later having many created especially for her.

She was an artist responsible for pushing the boundaries and influencing the evolution of Ballet, a concept which I find fascinating. As a Ballet lover and teacher I began to find traditional classical ballet a little boring a long time ago, I feel Sylvie was a pioneer among others responsible for pushing the boundaries to create something fresh and unique.

‘She could stand there, flex her feet and still be the most charismatic performer on this earth.’ (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/dance/11629739/Sylvie-Guillem-Life-in-Progess-Sadlers-Wells-review-the-most-charismatic-performer-on-earth.html 16.11.15)



New Adventures

‘Telling stories is more important to him than the steps he employs.’ Cameron Macintosh

In my opinion Matthew Bourne is the greatest dance story teller of our time, he has inspired a new audience to appreciate dance. New Adventures have accumulated a huge fan base over the years performing to sell out audiences across the world. Famous for reinventing and adding unique twists to old stories, New Adventures bring a fresh and current approach to dance.

I enjoy how the sickly sweet fairy tales Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and The Nutcracker are transformed into gritty, contemporary depictions of modern life encapsulating comedy, tragedy and beauty. I enjoy the common feature of a male dominant role, male fairies and swans adds a new dimension bringing the story more up to date.

Matthew uses the company’s input during the creative process to cultivate choreography and bring the characters to life through the dancer’s own personalities.

Below is a clip from the BBC documentary ‘A Beauty Is Born’ showing rehearsal footage and interview with Matthew Bourne on his reinvention of Sleeping Beauty.


‘His use of humour, grit, truth, sometimes violent sometimes beautiful his productions have taken dance in a direction I have never seen before.’

I have seen many of their productions over the years, Nutcracker! Cinderella, Dorian Gray, Sleeping Beauty and more recently The Car Man. I attended a Q and A with him at The National Theatre, was lucky enough to meet him and have him sign my book – ‘Matthew Bourne and His Adventures in Dance.’ (Conversations with Alistair Macaulay)

One particular scene has stayed with me since I saw it back in 2007, the snow scene in Edward Scissorhands. I still get chills watching it on YouTube, it was just so moving and beautiful I wanted to consider why it remains so special to me. The music ‘Ice Dance’ by Danny Elfman is haunting, magical and dreamy, the dancer’s soft, fluid movements float around the centrally placed ornate ice sculpture. The set a heavenly white, giving contrast to the earlier colourful comic book style scenes. The snow enhances the ethereal atmosphere, feeling the ice cold snow fall on my face made me feel part of the story.

It evoked many feelings within me, because I could identify with what the dancers were expressing. The characters were so lovable, particularly Edward I could really identify with him as most of us have experienced feelings of isolation in life as well as the joy of being accepted for your differences, coping with teenage awkwardness and the innocence of young love. As Matthew comments in the following clip ‘There’s an Edward in all of us.’


We go to the theatre to get lost within a story, to be taken on a journey to feel something, to laugh, to cry. I want what I am watching to speak to me and move me, I want to identify with what I see and this clip does just that:

The snow scene:



1 comment: