Wednesday 9 March 2016

Begining Module 3


Beginning Module 3

I found it insightful and enjoyable exploring the subject of artistry in Module 2, however I quickly discovered that it incorporated a vast array of elements, many of which overlapped. I researched several of these and found that my inquiry had potential for numerous pathways. I referred back to my mind map at the start of Module 2 which allowed me to revisit my initial ideas surrounding artistry in performance, through exploration of literature my research presented me with several further areas to consider.

Firstly I felt it necessary to define the term artistry within dance in order to identify the contributing elements. Through literature and interaction with professional networks I found each individual’s definition to be unique, the explanations collected so far have enabled me to appreciate the necessity of artistry within dance training and performance. I now feel it necessary to focus on one or two specific aspects of artistry and therefore created a new mind map to explain my thought process at this stage, as you can see I have identified the key interlinking aspects:



I now plan to engage with my peers and search for in depth literature on the following:

Musical Interpretation and Choreography

I feel it necessary to explore the musical influence on how choreography is devised and then performed. Through research I plan to identify how practitioners develop their ideas and ways they interpret a particular piece of music, the inspiration behind the choreography, its meaning and how it reflects the subject matter.

I have recently begun preparing for our annual school show case and will be recording evidence of my own creative process throughout in my reflective journal. I am in the early stages of choreographing several Ballet pieces and plan to document the following; why I chose the music, it’s relevance to the story, what I want to get across to the audience and what do I want them to feel. It will be insightful to analyse my thought process and decisions when developing the artistic aspects ready for the performance. I plan to amend my tools of inquiry to include the investigation of this topic.


Drama and Confidence

I explored this aspect to some extent in module 2 and found that many practitioners use drama activities to develop characterisation in dance for a particular role. Upon reflection of my own training I am aware that drama is a vital part of vocational dance programmes. I wish to research the value of implementing drama activities within the dance class to develop student’s confidence in expressive performance. I wish to gain awareness of how practitioners develop such skills and evaluate how confidence and skills gained from this can contribute to a more artistic performance.


I now feel it necessary to ask the following questions:

How does the music influence the way a dance piece is performed?

How can the students’ understanding of the music enhance their performance?

How do teachers and choreographers encourage awareness of musical interpretation?

How can we as dance teachers use drama to build confidence in student’s ability to explore and express emotion?








4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth!

    I do not teach but I am a dancer and I have found your questions very relevant as that is what most performers strive for, to interpret the music and for the audience to feel something when you are performing. Whether it's a story you're portraying or just getting the audience in a happy mood, the best way to show this is through the music.

    There is something beautiful about watching a performance when someone is completely in sync with the music and each move they make makes you feel something. You can be the best technical performer but if you cannot feel or use the music then it does not mean anything.

    I can imagine it is a very difficult thing to teach, but maybe if they could see the difference between dancing using the music and dancing without the music, or show them examples of two different performances and see if they can pin point what the differences are between them. This is so they can see how more effective it is when performers use artistry and interpret the music.

    I think this is a great subject to look into, I think is one of the most important things to have as a performer!

    I look forward to learn more about what you find out in your inquiry!

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Francesca,

    Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. As a teacher I feel that performance is the most challenging area to develop as it's not something that can necessarily be taught. Through research I have found it to be more a process of self discovery from individual experience in life and dance. I am now devising ways I can encourage my students to explore these experiences and apply them to their dance performance. Is there anything in particular that helped you develop these skills in class?

    Many thanks
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete